Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Accidental Mommy, Part 3

My 20 week ultrasound determining that Bettie was indeed a Bettie and not a Maddox, showed that in addition to having girl parts, she was perfectly healthy.  Unfortunately it also showed that my cervix was much shorter than it was supposed to be.  My OB, Dr. Holton, explained that I was 50% effaced.  I had no idea what that meant, but it sounded serious.  It was serious.  It indicated that I was at risk of pre-term labor.  The terms "incompetent cervix" were bandied about.  All of a sudden a part of my body I'd never given any thought to was incompetent.  Great.

That revelation meant that I had weekly poking and prodding visits with Dr. Holton.  It's a good thing I liked him and his office staff.  He mentioned that I could opt for bed rest, but that there was no scientific proof that being confined to a bed actually prolonged pregnancy.  I was still very dedicated to my job and also knew I didn't have enough leave time to take 20 weeks off before my baby was born.

My incredible shrinking cervix kept shrinking.  I survived through Halloween and Thanksgiving.  I had tons of Braxton Hicks contractions from about 22 weeks on.  They were disconcerting, but didn't hurt.  By the beginning of December, my doctor got very concerned.  At 30 weeks I was 1cm dilated and close to 75% effaced.  I was also having mild contractions.  He recommended that I go right to the hospital so I could get betamethasone shots.  He knew I'd never carry for another 10 weeks, and explained that the betamethasone would help my baby's lungs mature more quickly, so when she was born she'd have one fewer hurdle to overcome.

My dilation stayed put at 1cm for two more weeks, which was good because to be really effective, you have to have 2 rounds of betamethasone--2 weeks apart.  I went in for my second shot on a Monday evening right before a Carolina Hurricanes/Philadelphia Flyers game.  I was wearing a Flyers jersey and my Hello Kitty toque.  I got my shot, then Thelma, Adam and I went to the game.  I got booed by one of the Hurricanes' male cheerleaders.  He had a vuvuzela and was blowing it right behind my head and was heckling me.  I started having contractions (thanks a lot Mean Gene, you bastard).

The contractions were irregular, but became worrisome by morning, so I called my doctor.  I went to the office and he sent me immediately to labor and delivery.  I met with a perinatologist who confirmed that I was in labor and told me that they were going to try to stop it with medications since I was only 32 weeks pregnant.  They gave me Procardia and IV fluids and kept me in the bed.  I spent a very uncomfortable day and night in a hospital room, but my labor definitely stopped.  Adam stayed by my side the whole time.

The next morning they wanted to take me down for an ultrasound.  I knew that the ultrasound place was in the general part of the hospital and the ultrasound waiting room was pretty public.  I refused to wear the hospital gown down and put on my regular clothes.  The nurse wasn't thrilled.

During the ultrasound, I was told that my baby was small for gestational age (estimated at 2 pounds).  The doctor also told me that my placenta was failing and that if I didn't go into labor within 24 hours he'd be surprised.  He recommended that I stay hospitalized until I went into labor.  I told Adam that I was going home.  I couldn't get any rest in the hospital room and felt that I'd do better at home.  He was reluctant, but knew he wasn't going to be able to change my mind.

The nurse took me back up to my room and handed me a fresh gown.  I handed it back to her and told her I wasn't staying.  She turned up the attitude and told me that if I went home I'd likely end up back and would have to have an emergency c-section.  My baby was breech, so I knew I was staring down a c-section since doctors refuse to vaginally deliver breech babies, and I told her as much.  She huffed away to get an AMA form for me to sign.

After I signed the form, I realized I still had an IV line in.  I looked at Adam and asked him if he thought I should remove it on my own.  He told me not to and went to get the nurse.  She came in, rip corded the line out, taped a piece of gauze on me and sent me on my way.

By the time we reached the parking lot I noticed my arm felt cold and wet.  I looked down and saw that my shirt was covered with blood and I'd left a bloody trail to the parking lot.  Nurse Ratchett didn't apply pressure after rip cording the line out, so I was bleeding.  With a little pressure I got it to stop.

I went home and actually got some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment